The word “tofu” used to terrify me, even once I started eating mostly vegan. It’s scary, and it looks weird, and it smells kindof funny. There’s no denying that.
I actually tried Tofu for the first time when it was part of several recipe’s for Nikki’s detox* and I actually fell in love with it. It’s now a staple in my diet. There are lots of ways to eat it, below are my favorites:
1. Stove top with olive oil. I like my food a little over cooked, so I wait until both sides are golden brown and hard to the touch. Don’t burn it though, obviously!
^^I almost always eat it this way, but whatever you season it with or the other contents of the meal really change up the taste. I like putting it over a big heap of spinach or with some rice and cooked veggies.
2. scrambled with cajun seasoning. This is fantastic as a replacement for eggs in a breakfast burrito!
There is a lot of opinions floating around about Tofu because it is soy based and contains phytoestrogens, which is an estrogen chemical naturally found in plants. There are also some skeptical people out there that believe soy protein can actually hinder muscle building results. The fact is, though, that this is entirely situational. Here are a couple of benefits to Tofu:
1. Tofu is extremely inexpensive. An entire block at Trader Joe’s costs about 2$, which lasts me 4-6 meals.
2. It is high in protein, low in fat, just like chicken. Granted the protein levels in animal protein are higher, yes. But the protein to fat ratio is still very respectable in Tofu.
3. It’s also a good source of omega-3, Iron and Calcium!
Play around with Tofu and see what you like best, don’t let the weird texture get you down, it’s delicious!